Tuesday, May 3, 2016

A bit of retrospective

At about this time 3 years ago we had been in our new house for about 5 months, and I started to see a lot of old issues my wife and I have re-appearing.  While I did miss the Cleveland area, I did tell my wife before she decided to apply back up here, that it was a mistake, we were moving in a good direction down in Columbus, and my preference would have been to stay there or go elsewhere.

I'm not entirely sure what caused the re-appearance of issues, maybe it's just old habits die hard and the fact that we didn't have those to fall back on in Columbus, allowed us to change a bit.  While most of my frustration was around the ones my wife fell into, I'm sure there are numerous ones she would point out if she was writing that I was doing as well. I tend to view mine as coping with the situations at hand based on hers, but maybe that's just for my own sanity.

It didn't help that although we were moving in a good direction in Columbus, there were still lots of issues I was facing. I had put on a great deal of weight in Columbus, I was on my 2nd job that I disliked since we moved to Columbus, and the likelihood of being laid off was very real.  It didn't help that my wife's job was just part time in wages as a teacher with student loans that were paying for 2 masters degrees. 

It's easy to say I was depressed, although the realization of it was hard to understand.  After all, I had just survived a hospitalization due to staph infection, miraculously got us out from under a house that had lost 75% of it's value, and somehow managed to beg, borrow, and steal and get us into a very nice house in a city that we loved. 

The first part of digging out of some of that depression was getting a new job, I had a lead internally for a position that I had left 4 years before, but for a new organization, a rather big deal organization inside the company I'm with.  If I told you that my organizations crown jewel had kicked Ken Jenning's ass on Jeopardy, you might be able to figure it out. 

I wound up getting that position, which meant some stability, some possible future upward mobility, and at the very least some comfort in doing something I was very good at, and enjoyed doing (for the most part).  The only negative, is I had sort of mastered that role previously and the new organization was going to run those of us doing that work into the ground. I was willing to take the exchange, and for the most part, my mental state in regards to that cleared up.

We decided to take a cruise that summer instead of going to Disney or any of our other family vacation spots.  It was nice and a great getaway, but I hadn't put on a bathing suit in 2 years, and let me tell you, it was not a pretty site looking in the mirror.  Yes, even as a man, I'm a bit vain, considering how many years I had worked to keep the weight off, this was extremely depressing. Of course prior to the cruise I had started getting back on an exercise routine, but by the time we left it wasn't enough and by the time we got back, I was far too depressed to continue with it, which just added to my negative mindset, which continually got worse over the next few months.

So there I was at 41 years old, fat again, a smoker, in a sort of dead end job, and in a relationship that has had it's challenges over the years, that I consider to be beyond 'normal relationship stuff'.  I did try and remedy some of this, by branching out to try and find new friends, find new hobbies to do, come up with things for the family to do, or just come up with an at home hobby that might take my mind off things.  Nothing seemed to be working.  Heck I even built a cabinet (not a very good one, but if you knew how handy I am, you'd be impressed that I at least tried something new).

I was able to branch out some and find new friends (and in some cases older ones from high school) I also started bowling and trying to get out of the house and break my funk.  Little did I know that getting out of the house was more about looking to escape the depression rather then providing any healing.  It continued to get worse as time went on.




No comments: