Monday, February 20, 2012

Weird thought for the day: "Who to really blame for Guy Fieri"

I'm fascinated by society, although I earned my degree in Psychology, my Sociology classes were far more interesting. I believe there is a lot of value in trying to understand one's own society. It's an important tool in understanding situations that develop during our social lives.

That leads me to my weird thought for the week, while catching up on 'Shark Tank' episodes last week. In the episode I was watching, an inventor of a truck rack that was collapsible was adamant that he wanted to produce the rack in the United States. The investors of the show rejected his offer based on the business principle that we just can't produce things here in the quantities needed at a price that's competitive with those that are producing in other countries.

I won't get into the global economic arguments related to it (those can be handled with far more skill by others). It did make me ask the question, "How has the loss of manufacturing changed our sociological outlook/makeup?" Since this is just a weird thought for the day and I'm working on being less verbose, the thought that came to my head is that we have an emptiness that comes from not creating. I believe there is a strong inherent desire in us as individuals (and as a result society) that drives us to create. Manufacturing would be one way for people to satisfy this need. Without it, I'd expect that from a sociological point of view, we'd see this desire manifest itself in other areas.

I believe you can see the results of this in many aspects of our daily lives and trends we've seen over the past couple of years.

1. Explosion of food programming. Don't you know at least 5 foodies right now and those that are talking about there new recipes and creations?

2. Social networking: blogs, Facebook, Twitter, etc. I think those participating understand they are creating something for those that interact through these tools. (even ones like this, where you get me typing as I think, which I'm sure means its a mess to read on certain days)

Those are the only two I came up with right now, but I do wonder if the newer toys we see today could also be a factor of the change. Lego is enjoying huge growth with their new kits and licensed properties, and I've seen more Moon Sand/Dough, Pixos, Orbeez, and foam kits advertisements then I thought were possible.

Anyway, that's my weird thought for the day. The Food revolution is an indirect result of America's manufacturing base being moved offshore. As I wrote this post, all sorts of fun headlines came to mind for the title, here are some of them.

"Is America's Food revolution the result of it's manufacturing demise?"
"Model T's and TV Dinners"
"How to make a country fat"

No comments: