Friday, October 28, 2011

Figure this one out

Parents fighting to have their children returned.

I don't know where to begin with this one. Obviously if there has been physical abuse, it's an open and shut case. What exactly entails emotional abuse in a situation like this? Is a name enough?

This article/situation disgusts and fascinates me on many levels. I consider myself a staunch libertarian, with a mindset of live and let live; however, I'm very sensitive to prejudice and injustice.

There is a part of me that says if these psycho's want to raise their child in this manner and name them as such, then they have a right too.

There is another part of me that's horrified by that thought. I'm not horrified easily.

It's not illegal to give your child a horrible name or to teach your child to hate. While I despise both of those things, I do not want to live in a world where our government is tasked with 'fixing' these types of things.

Which means, as I look at this situation, I have to wonder what constitutes emotional abuse, is it the name, the things they are teaching, or something more? Can we consider ignorant teachings as emotional abuse and if we do, what kind of precedent are we setting?

I think the majority of people that look at a situation like this would think there is enough justification (just from the article) to taking the children away from the parents, I doubt many of them consider the implications of such actions. This would be a great argument for a debate class or any number of subjects, I just wish it was hypothetical like most of those questions.

(My discussion here makes major assumptions in relation to this situation. My main assumption is that the state is considering the abuses to be the children's names and/or the parent's teachings. The argument does not apply if there is any other type of abuse that would be considered typical in situations such as this.)

1 comment:

National Insurance Moderator said...

I truly learned about almost all of this, but with that in mind, I still assumed it was useful. Excellent job!

visit and also follow my blog at http://www.gonationalinsurance.blogspot.com