Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Having my cake and eating it too!

I just wanted to pop in for a quick update. As of today, I'm smoke free for about 5 days and am in the best spot ever after quitting. Patches, gum, and lozenges have all failed miserably for me in previous attempts. I'm very happy to say that the e-cig that I picked up last week is working like a charm. It's working so well in fact, that even after trying a regular cigarette the first night after I started I completely hated the taste of it. An extremely significant event for me, who upon quitting every other time couldn't even be around someone else smoking without craving it badly.

I have no idea whether the e-cig ultimately will have negative affects, all I know right now is it's working for moving me off of regular cigarettes. Perhaps I'm trading one bad habit for another, but given the absolute nightmare quitting has been in the past and the relative ease it's been so far, I'm more then willing to make that deal at this point.

The e-cig I picked up isn't even one that I wanted or that was rated better by those that switched, it wound up just being a generic one the tobacco shop had, but so far it's working. I'll be picking up a backup and some other supplies here at some point, but for now I'm thrilled with the results.

My previous best for quitting smoking was one month, I'm a ways away from that, but I'm thinking that will be an easy goal at this point. Even for that quit, I never had a day where I didn't crave a regular cigarette. At this point, I have no craving for a regular cigarette.

No comments: