Tuesday, June 7, 2011

"But wait, there's more!" Ginsu knives!!


Before Billy Mays and OxiClean, the catchphrase in the 1980's of TV infomercials was "But wait, there's more." In the early 80's you couldn't watch TV without seeing an ad for the Ginsu knives. They were the decade's "Snuggies" of kitchenware. As a child of the 80's, the Ginsu knives hold a special place in my memories, along with "Where's the Beef" and Michael Jackson being black.

The Ginsu knife commercials were as over the top as the 1980's were. The knives could do everything and there was no need to sharpen them, ever. Here's a commercial I found on YouTube for the 90's version of the Ginsu knife.




Imagine my surprise then, when a couple of months ago, I noticed one of my steak knives was the legendary Ginsu 2000.

Unfortunately, this is the only one of its kind in my collection and in truth I have no idea how it got there. After discovering this treasure, I realized that I was in a unique position to test this wondrous creation. I have not bought or sharpened a knife in at least 10 years. I know this because, prior to living with my wife, I'm not even sure I owned knives and it's been 12 years since we moved in together. I also know we haven't bought or received any knives since at least our wedding shower, which was over 10 years ago as well. This is the opportunity I've been waiting for my whole life. I'm going to get to see if the Ginsu knife can cut a can after 10 years of wear and tear and never having been sharpened.

Here's our victim.



Not a clean cut like the commercial, but the knife made it through, and definitely 'cut' the can. But wait, there's more.



I was out of tomatoes, so I ran the knife through an apple. It cuts the same as it did before I cut the can. "Amazing"

Truth in advertising!

I can now put this childhood memory to rest, safe in the knowledge that the decade of the excess (the 1980's) was an innocent decade rife with technological advances like the Ginsu knife.

*side note* No, I wasn't going to try and cut a nail or a lead pipe, are you crazy? This is the friggin' Ginsu knife. Of course it can cut through a lead pipe or a nail, it probably would slice through my finger too if I tried to cut those, just out of spite for taunting it. :)

2 comments:

detroit1051 said...

Great memories, but most importantly, I haven't seen Barq's Root Beer in years. Always drank it as a kid (but not the sissy diet stuff.)

Michael said...

The Diet Barq's is awesome, tastes just like the regular. I'm happy too that it's carried in the Columbus market, it was carried in Cleveland for awhile, but they got rid of it awhile ago. I drank it as a kid a lot as my dad got samples since Pepsi carried it then. Best rootbeer in my opinion.