Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday Thoughts 2/4/11

Let's see if we can get the ball rolling again.

1. A lot going on in World news, especially in Egypt. For those that aren't paying mild attention to it, I'd urge you to familiarize yourself with what's happening there (take the 5 minutes away from Facebook and pull up a couple AP articles). It's this type of thing that you benefit from understanding when things happen in the world at a later date.

2. The Browns hired Pat Shurmur, if I had only gotten my coaches preview down for the 2nd part before the decision was inevitable, I could blow my own horn a bit more. I will say that Brown's fans shouldn't despair, as hiring Dick Jauron as Defensive Coordinator was one of those things that needed to happen too. If Shurmur takes direction from Mike Holmgren like I think he will, it's probably the best type of hire for this organization. At the very least we still have a true general manager in Tom Heckert and considering the outstanding draft he had last year, I think there is reason to be optimistic.

3. I'm in the process of updating links to the blogs I read and removing some that aren't active anymore. I think I need to find some new ones to read too, so any suggestions, feel free to leave me a comment. I'm a bit sad though as 3 of the blogs I followed closely seem to have closed down.

4. Speaking of blog business, I'm trying to decide how I want to rename this blog, since I'm not in Cleveland anymore, I think it's time for a rename. I'm just trying to decide when (probably not til summer and wife's job re-ups) and what (I need something less location specific, as this blog has been extremely Cleveland deficient for one with it in it's title).

5. I'm now 4-10 in cashing in poker tournaments, a 40% cash mark isn't bad in my opinion although that has 3 low cashes and only 1 win. I think I'll be taking a break though, as I have a Vegas work trip scheduled for the end of the month and I'd rather take discretionary income there anyway. Although I may actually sit down and play some poker in Vegas, if I can get past my constant need to do something there.

6. Rollerskating lessons start for my daughter this weekend, I'm extremely excited, I'm kind of surprised that I've come across so many roller skating rinks here in Columbus, in Cleveland I wasn't able to find any since the one I skated at as a kid closed down. I'm not sure if I'm actually excited for the daughter to learn to skate or the fact that we can free skate for 2 hours after the lessons and it gives me an excuse to roller skate some. (Not exactly a regular hobby for most middle aged men)

7. I think I'm going to start working again on my Vegas blog:

http://vegasoutsider.blogspot.com/

I have some ideas on what I want to do with it, my biggest concern to this point is I didn't want just another review site, especially since I don't take many pictures on my trips. I think I've identified a niche though that I can fill. I did come across a post I accidentally put over there, that I'm moving to this one, as it was my update of when we moved. Oops. This will likely be the last cross promotion I do with the Vegas blog, as similar to my life, I like to keep things compartmentalized and ultimately keeping them separated appeals to me for a level of anonymity.

8. Spring training opens up here in a week or two and I really would like to right up a baseball preview, but I have little desire to do so at the moment as the Indians truly stink. That's one of the benefits of being a blogger vs a writer, no requirements.

9. I think I've decided that I think American Idol jumped the shark with Taylor Hicks, it's just taken so long to realize it.

10. With a weekend of little planned, I'm thinking it's a perfect weekend to do some baking and making some snacks for the Superbowl. Being down here in Columbus means there isn't a party to go to or anything else and it's been almost 2 months since I baked anything. On track for this weekend is cheesecake.

Have a great weekend, except that is if you are rooting for the Steelers, in which case I wish you a miserable weekend of weather followed by your team losing by double digits or 3 points in the last minute of the game.

No comments: