Friday, December 17, 2010

Friday Thoughts 12/17/2010

It's been awhile since I've done one of these. Hopefully that means it won't be boring.


1. I've probably said it before and I'm not the last person that's going to say it, but the fees ticketmaster charges are beyond ridiculous. I purchased some tickets for Disney on Ice last night for the three of us. Tickets were on sale for $6.50/each which was half price. My fees were $6.50 per ticket. Now considering that the majority of Ticketmaster's work is handled by their computer systems, I can't see where they can justify this price. I mean compare the fact that this travelling skating show pays talent, movers, creative teams, promotions, licensing, etc. and still comes in at the same price. Unbelievable and gouging to the extreme in my opinion. No wonder why no one wants to go to any events any more, add in crowds, parking, and expensive concessions, it's just not worth the hassle.

2. I should point out, I really don't care about the total price of the tickets, $13 per person for Disney on Ice isn't bad at all. The thing that irritates me though is that half of the dollars are going to an entity that does nothing, and keeps the revenue from those that are performing. I'm not in favor of paying companies or people that aren't performing much work significantly higher then their effort requires.

3. We had a birthday party for Bronwyn last weekend at Chik-fil-a. It was a chance to meet some of the parents of her friends from school and the kids could play in the indoor playground and have a lunch. It was a nice time and the prices were very good for a small birthday party (under $4/head for the kids). Plus we wound up with a fair amount of space and were well taken care of by the staff. It was also nice to meet some of the parents, partially because my days outside of phone conversation are limited to conversations with my daughter and wife, there are just times when some adult conversation is necessary. I'm hopeful that we'll be able to set up some play dates or dinner dates with the families in the future.

4. Sunday, we were invited to one of Bronwyn's friends birthday party at Bounce City. Bounce City is an indoor facility with those large inflatable play areas. It's actually a lot of fun, and they let the parents play on them if they want, for the price of a child, since it was a party Bronwyn got in as a guest. There parties are a little expensive, but you are allowed to invite 15-25 kids depending on the package. We thought about holding Bronwyn's party there, but considering we didn't know whether anyone would show up, we thought it might be better to do something more low key this year. And if you are wondering, yes, I did get on some of the inflatables and it was pretty crazy. The slide they have has to be three stories tall and one of the fastest drops I've ever experienced.

5. Today's the last day of work and then I'm off all next week on vacation. Usually I take this past week off, but with Laurie having Christmas break and Bronwyn in day care it only made more sense to take this week or next off (next week was already locked up). I don't think I've had the week before Christmas off since I was in school, so it will be a bit different of a vacation for me.

6. During my shopping this year, I've been able to find small gifts for people, that I think they'll like. These are typically people I might not give a gift too, only because we don't typically exchange them or for the fact that finding something they want is an exercise in futility. I won't say what it is though in case they read the blog. I will say it's sort of fun when you can find something relatively inexpensive that should make a nice gift for someone and is a bit personal.

7. So far Columbus seems to avoid a good deal of snow that Cleveland gets. We've only had one mild pass through of snow so far and considering what my family and friends have dealt with over the last two weeks in Cleveland, it's not bad at all.

8. The car battery on my Stratus went this week. (Those 5 degree morning temperatures will have that effect on an old battery.) And lucky me to find out that the battery on Dodge cars are located in the driver side wheel well. WTF??? After a wasted day of trying to figure out where in the wheel well it was, I was finally able to get it done the next day. Needless to say I'm not a car guy, this is about the extent of my automotive expertise.

9. As usual, I've been baking up a storm. I think I've settled in on four staples for every Christmas and have come up with a new one this year, chocolate peppermint cookies. The taste and texture turned out well on them this year, but they didn't look quite like I wanted them too. I'm hoping to come up with about 2 more and then just have 6 I can make every year.

10. Happy Holidays to everyone, be safe, and enjoy yourselves!

No comments: