Monday, November 8, 2010

Update from Friday audition

Not a lot of time today, but I thought I'd check in and write an update from Friday's audition. After driving out to the middle of nowhere, about a 1/2 south of Columbus with nothing but farm land around, I finally found the 'city' and then the house for the practice.

I met the guys and we headed to the basement to give it a shot. They had a nice setup, pro equipment and a nice layout. Unfortunately their drummer wasn't able to make it out, but we managed without him, although that's not really an easy task. We played for about an hour, the first three that we set up the audition with went really well. After that it was a bit of a struggle as I had put together a couple sheets of lyrics based on stuff they advised they could play. Not knowing their arrangements, along with no drummer, and some unfamiliarity with certain parts of the songs made it a bit of a challenge, but I thought it went pretty well.

Overall, it was a lot of fun getting back behind the microphone. If nothing else it was well worth it just to shake off some of the cobwebs.

Now, let's talk about my thoughts, the guys are nice, and talented, but I think even if they call back and want me to come back out for another audition or with the offer of the spot, I think I'm going to turn it down. It's hard to put my finger on why, but I think it breaks down to the stuff they play, it's just not heavy enough for me, plus it tends to skew more towards 60's and 70's music, which I don't mind mixing in, but I don't really want as the majority of the set. I'm sure it's a bit premature as I haven't been offered anything yet, but those are my thoughts after a weekend of thinking about it. So I'll be back to looking for a new group, the good news though is the confidence continues to develop for it. I feel like a singer as I get ready for the audition and I know it's coming across in presence too, which is pretty good considering where I started out at.

No comments: