Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Thinking about luck

I've talked about my fascination with coincidences before and am a firm believer that you make your own 'luck'. Every once in a while, the world seems to be aligned in that things just start falling right. Simple things, a good nights sleep, the perfect dinner, a decision on what to do in your spare time being rewarding are all examples of alignment when the world is going right.

I have no idea whether this is true or not, and if I was reading it, I'd discount it as some new age gobble dee gook, but there are times when I feel like I'm running right in life. For me I think it's about getting in synch with things around you, once you do that you wind up on the roll. For a comparison, baseball players when on torrid hitting streaks will say the ball looks like a beach ball during the streak, decisions in life during this 'roll' are much like hitting a beach ball.

It's funny that during my life, I find parallels so often from books I read as a child. One of my favorite series is the Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander. Alexander based the books on Celtic legends and tales and then wove a story around it. The series is through the eyes of an orphan named Taran. I could write many words on the similarities I see between myself and the main character, but that's for another day.

There is however a situation that relates in book 4 to luck that I found interesting. Taran meets a character named Llonio in book 4, Llonio has a large family out in the middle of the wilderness, to say he lives by meager means would be an understatement. During Taran's encounter with Llonio, he watches as Llonio makes do with whatever comes his way. Fishing nets empty after a night of being left out, Llonio becomes ecstatic when he comes across a large shield that's floated down the river. When asked why is he so happy that he's found a piece of junk rather then food for his family, Llonio advises that they'll make do without fish for the day, but that they may find a use for that shield that will better their lives.

There are many other situations like this, that Taran witnesses in his encounter with Llonio, but essentially Llonio believes he is the luckiest man on earth and proclaims himself as such. A puzzling bit of information to Taran, who longs to be of royal blood or wealthy in order to ask the royal daughter he is in love with for her hand in marriage. Llonio's luck is his own though, he creates it as he views everything as a positive outcome. There are no setbacks just different paths to success. I always loved this view, and when I'm rolling right it's how I feel about how the world is going to go.

I'm guessing that I haven't done a great job at explaining the feeling to you or my thoughts behind it in this post, but based on the mood I'm in, I'm sure it will get it's point across in the way it needs to. For now though, I'm going to continue enjoying this nice little run that started last night, and see what it brings. Luck to you as well.

No comments: