Friday, July 16, 2010

The Big Dipper





Before I forget I thought I'd take a moment and write about my daughter's favorite ice cream shop. It's called the Big Dipper and it's an amazing spot. It's smack dab in the middle of the neighborhood surrounded by houses on the middle of the street.

The store hours are 5-9 and their open seasonally during the warm months with some of the best hand made ice cream you'll find.

In addition to this prices are extraordinary, it's easy to walk out of there with a 6 or 7 dollar bill which includes two fully loaded sundaes and a cone. Dairy Queen would set you back 10 or 11 on that.

The insides have an old style ice cream bar with spinning stools, Bronwyn regularly twists around them while deciding her order. The owner, has taken a fondness to her and announces the arrival of the princess when she enters, and has good naturally chided me for trying to get her to stop spinning on the chairs, saying "the princess can do whatever she likes in here."

We'll likely visit more before we leave in a month, but today he mentioned congratulations and how disappointed he is he won't get to see her grow up.

It's not the type of place that needs advertising or big budgets because it's part of the community, I know places like this are a dying breed and hope it flourishes for as long as the owner wishes. I have a feeling when we visit family in the summer this is a likely stop during a trip, for anyone in the Garfield Heights area I'd recommend a trip as well.









- michael

No comments: