Friday, May 21, 2010

Friday Thoughts 5/21

It's been a couple weeks since I've had a Friday thoughts post and I think I've got enough finally to make it interesting. If not, just ignore it.

1. The iPhone camera really sucks. On the morning bike ride I was trying to photograph the deer that was 20ft away (any closer and he'd have bolted). However the camera sucks so bad you can barely make him out in the picture. I put it up on Twitter, but it's so bad I'm not even going to bother here. Same issue with a family of geese I saw this morning. #picturefail Although it was sort of neat seeing all of the wildlife this morning on the trail. Likely because it's still a bit too cold for many people out on the trail.

2. The weather here has been crappy, so my 1000 mile challenge for the summer has gotten off to a slow start, but I am up to 50 and am hopeful to get another 40-50 in this weekend.

3. Another week and news that another friend is getting divorced. This one hits home a bit closer as it's someone I'm close with. I haven't talked to him a lot over the last couple years, but expect to hear more from him now. (yeah, it was one of those types of relationships).

4. Another friend who I don't talk with much anymore, we weren't what I would consider really close is getting married again (his 2nd or 3rd I believe). Is it bad that I'm thinking about not going? What is the protocol for that? If you are invited and were friends years ago but haven't seen or talked in years are you still obligated? Struggling with this one.

5. As we see more and more articles over the next 5-10 years of "How to Fix Social Security", it's worth pointing out that the only reason Social Security needs fixing is it was modified to move funds over the past 20-30 years that would have sustained the system through it's own program.

6. Hmm, this is definitely one way to move the focus from those silly civil rights comments. Defend BP, after all it's just an accident that happened.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100521/ap_on_bi_ge/us_rand_paul

7. The three day weekend of Memorial day cannot get here quick enough.

8. Social Media advertising stinks, actually maybe I should clarify, Facebook advertising stinks. I mean it's one thing to promote your company or product on Facebook, but I've yet to see one company do anything unique to the medium besides accepted spam. I swear if I see another ABC post for Lost or V, I'm going to scream. Isn't it a reasonable assumption that 'fans' of the show Lost know it's season finale is this week. I mean it's not like it's not repeated on your station 24/7, been cross promoted on your shows, been talked about on radio stations (with ads too), or about a zillion other ways of promoting this 'event'. I'm guessing at this point you've hit the saturation level, especially considering that you sort of have to even care about the finale.

9. Here's a fun recipe that worked out for breakfast last week. Stuffed pancakes with blackberries. The pancakes, well just make them however you are used to. The stuffing is what I think worked well this time.

1/2 block cream cheese, softened.
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
12 oz tub of whip cream
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Beat all ingredients except for the whip cream. The mixture should be wet, but should not be too runny. If too runny add in some powdered sugar.

Then mix with the whip cream, depending on the consistency you can fold it in, but given it's going to melt on the hot pancakes anyway, I wouldn't be overly concerned with folding.
of the whip cream together in a bowl and then combine with the whipped cream.

Layer between pancakes with an additional spoonful on top, add your favorite berries and maple syrup and enjoy.

10. My daughter has been hoping for a garden, if there's one thing I have attempted and failed at miserably, it's growing plants. However, I have decided to give it one more try. I'm not expecting it to be successful, but might make for some interesting stories over the summer. I'm thankful there is no PETP (People for the ethical treatment of Plants) as I would likely fall number one on their most hated list.

Have a good weekend!!

No comments: