Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The minds's willing, the body...

I knew this week would be trouble. Two months ago my group of friends told me they were going to the Indian's Home opener. It's become a bit of a tradition that the day of the opener is a chance for everyone to get together downtown and hang out for the night after the game. It seems harmless on the surface and then I realized what day the Home Opener was on...Monday.

Unfortunately my 'growth' as an adult has included only mild changes to my nightlife habits. There are not a lot of things worse then working on a Tuesday with a hangover and little sleep, well at least at my current age and position, but I decided to take the risk and try to manage the consumption for the night.

I'm happy to report I survived, but you will notice this post is being done on Wednesday not Tuesday. While I did have my share of beverages Monday night, knowing there were four work days ahead for the week kept me in check. That's not to say I wasn't a bit sluggish on Tuesday, although in this case it's more of a result of spending 7 hours out on a Monday night.

It was a great time , there's fun about walking around Cleveland from place to place, especially with the demise of the Flats, everything is a bit more spread out so the excursions downtown tend to be different every time we go. With all of us now living fairly close downtown it's also a bit unique in that none of us are worried about driving and can all relax and have fun for the night.

Since I was one of the few not going to the game due to working the full day, I had to meet the group downtown. I had planned on sharing a cab home that night, but really didn't want to get one for the ride down, so after checking some options, I decided to ride the bus for the first time in my life.

I've used the Rapid Transit trains regularly, especially to the airport, but in my 37 years, I've never rode the bus. To say I was anxious would be a bit of an understatement. I found a stop that was about a 10 minute walk from my house and determined that it would likely get me close to my destination downtown with minimal walking from there. I'm happy to report the bus ride went off without a hitch, I got on the right bus, made it to the stop in plenty of time, and even wound up being dropped off directly in front of Progressive field. It worked out so well, that going forward for a night downtown it's probably the way I'll head down there and just cab home.

The crowd downtown for the Monday opener this year was huge, we were blown away by the number of people in the bars and around town, for comparison, last year's Friday home opener seemed deserted in comparison. (although it was raining last year and cold). Maybe next year we can combine nice weather with a Friday opening.

1 comment:

wendy said...

I miss my Tribe... sounds like a great time indeed!