Friday, March 26, 2010

Promises, Promises, or when will I ever learn

If there's one thing I'm woefully inadequate at in regards to this blog, it's following through when I tease a topic. I need to stop doing that, there's a couple of reasons why I usually fail at this.

1. The topics I tease tend to be more complex for writing then I anticipate. I think of a ton of things to write about and many of them are interesting to me. However, when I start to put them down 'on paper' I find that the complexity of thought I'm trying to convey is usually lacking.

2. It also doesn't help that I see a great deal of complexity in sensitive issues and I have a tremendously difficult time writing something that's one sided and extremely opinionated. As I try to write something like that, I find myself in arguments with myself over the content.

3. As I'm struggling through all of the above, I realize it probably doesn't matter much anyway and it's not worth the time to write about it. This is a combination of laziness, self doubt, and the recognition that some of the topics I want to write about out of the blue are simply self indulgences, that probably don't read well for a larger audience.

So, I'm drawing a line in the sand, anything I've promised to write about before and haven't you can take off the list and in the future I'm going to try and guard against any promises of what's to come. That's not to say I won't get into some of those topics, but I need to find the story that allows me to let them write themselves.

No comments: