Monday, March 1, 2010

A couple of notes from the weekend

The weekend started off great, we decided to get takeout at "Melt" and it was very good. We got three sandwiches to try. Here they are with my thoughts. http://www.meltbarandgrilled.com/

1. Tokyo Tuna Melt - This is Yellowfin tuna with cheese, lettuce, and tomato. It was outstanding, the marinade on the tuna gave it a nice full flavor and the mix of textures on the sandwich made you eager to take another bite. This one will definitely make it into the rotation.

2. The Big Popper - This is a jalapeno popper as a sandwich. Execution wise it's flawless, with cream cheese and jalapenos throughout the sandwich. The whole sandwich is deep fried and served with very good berry preserves. I have two problems with the sandwich as I suspected I might.

a. It's a terrible sandwich for takeout, being deep fried and then transported you completely lose the crispiness of the sandwich on the outside. I was afraid of this and it proved to be true.

b. It's creative and tasty, but in the end it's still just a jalapeno popper. Its probably a nice alternative for vegetarians, but it's just cream cheese and jalapenos and while good, it's just no substantial enough to hold up as a meal in my opinion. Especially when you consider there are so many other options.

3. Chorizo and Potato - I ordered this mainly because I had fears about the Big Popper. I'm so glad I did. This is a chorizo sausage and potato hash grilled cheese. The biggest reason I targeted it is I anticipated it would reheat in the oven perfectly, warming and getting the bread crispy again quickly without affecting anything on the sandwich. The sausage/potato has was a perfect compliment to the crispy bread and cheese. It's filling, tasty, and texturally awesome. I highly recommend this one, especially if you plan on doing take out.

We'll definitely be heading back to Melt in the future and I anticipate 1 and 3 being regular rotation items.

We also visited the auto show this weekend. It was a nice way to get out of the house without breaking the bank and gave the little one a lot of room to run around. I'm not a big car guy, but I do hear the siren call of mid-life crisis sports car. As I continue to look at them and sit in them, I get closer and closer to laying out a plan to buy one. Even though it's unlikely I'd ever drive it more then casually or for some long trips for fun. My two newest favorites are the 2010 Chevy Camaro and the 2010 Dodge Charger. I love the modern retro look they've put on the cars and neither would break my budget for a new car. Well at least if I anticipated getting one in about 2-3 years.







That was technically it for the weekend, although Monday brought a couple of more tidbits.

Early Monday I got a text from the drummer from my former band. They had their first show with the new singer on Saturday. The text said that people who had seen us play before thought I was a better singer. That was nice to hear, not because I care whether I'm better then the new guy or not, but more a confirmation that I can actually do this singing thing. That made for a good start to the week.

I also had a bit of an inspired idea on Monday, I've come up with an idea that I'm going to be working on either as a website or a book. I'm leaning toward a website with some book ideas possibly down the line if I can manage to make the website successful. I'll provide more details as I flush the idea out more.


Typically when I think about writing, I come up with ideas for stories or novels. When I try to think of an idea for a book or a site that's interesting and not overly ambitious I run into a complete block. This one feels right and I think it has some potential with some work, but I have some work to do to verify it's not already being done and in collecting some information on it.

I probably won't be blogging a lot over the next two weeks, I'm traveling for work next week and have been trying to get organized in order to make the trip. It's hard for me to say there won't be any updates though, as a lot of it depends on how much work I have to do and whether something comes up that's post worthy. I do anticipate at least one Friday Thoughts and in thinking about it now, maybe I'll put together a second one that's not day to day relevant that I can use for the second Friday.

Hopefully we'll be seeing the first signs of spring by the time I get back to regular updates.

2 comments:

wendy said...

hmmmm, very curious about your ideas... looking forward to them, and have a great trip!

Michael said...

thanks, oh crap I almost forgot about my idea, thanks for posting the comment about it, I need to figure out a way to keep reminding myself to work on it or at least write it down.