Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Under the weather 'literally'

I haven't had a chance to update this week; I woke up Saturday morning with the cold my daughter had been battling all week. I'm in day 5 now and I'll be damned that it's just as bad as day one. (Yech).

Friday night we wound up with another foot of snow and over the last day we've gotten at least another 1-2 feet. (Although it's hard to tell how much with as much as it's drifting due to the wind.)

Needless to say it's not been a great week. This brings me to my rant for the week.

The phrase "So much for global warming" or anything similar has to go. I realize that phrases in our American pop culture typically start off on one coast or the other, but in this case, I'm sure that I've heard a variation of this phrase over the last three winters. And based on that, I'm tired of hearing it. It's not clever, it's not funny, and every time a snowflake falls it's not proof that Al Gore was wrong.

I get it; people are tired of having 'global warming' shoved down their throat. (Although environmentalists realized about 5 years ago that the phrase 'global warming' was the wrong term to use, they use 'climate change' now). I'm tired of the coverage of it as well.

So the next time you have the urge to be clever and topical at the same time, I urge you to reconsider and realize that it's a tired and old phrase. I also cannot guarantee that there will not be a snowball flying at you if I overhear the phrase as well.

No comments: