Sunday, February 21, 2010

Self critique and other thoughts on the songs

The CD sat on my desk for a week. Every time I looked at it I wanted to cringe. I was terrified of this small piece of plastic. This is what happens when you have a tendency to over analyze things.

Here are a couple of thoughts that ran through my head:

"I must really sound like shit on this thing"
"Would it be so bad to just post the damn songs and never listen to them myself?"
"How long can I keep avoiding this?"
"You were an idiot for giving this a shot"
"I'm going to have to re-evaluate how I read people again, especially those that gave compliments to hearing me sing before"

Pretty bad aren't they? Then I got to this thought.

"You know, this was your first time recording, and you did it in one take in sub-freezing temperatures in a barn. It's not like you were trying for a record deal here, the whole purpose of this was to sound 'real' not to be overproduced or perfect, so why don't you remember that and listen to the damn cd"

I knew I had a voice of reason somewhere. So I listened to the cd and here are my thoughts. It's ok, not great, but not awful.

Considering my only vocal training happened in 4th through 8th grades and otherwise was 'self taught' through 15 years of long car drives, and drinking/karaoke. I'd consider it a nice start. Sure, there are parts I don't like or could use work (parts of Nothing Else Matters and Dead or Alive were most obvious to me), but they weren't awful. With a little more work, a second take, or a warm environment to record in, who knows what it might have sounded like.

It's sort of nice to know that I don't completely suck. Whether I'm good enough to front a band, time will tell, but I think I have enough going for me to continue giving it a shot.

I've made it out to one jam session with a couple guys and have another one this week. I don't want to go into a lot of details yet as there isn't a lot to discuss, but potentially something could come from it. I consider it getting back up on the horse after falling off. It was necessary for me to do so and I'm glad I did, otherwise I think I'd have just filed this hobby away under missed opportunities.

No comments: