Friday, January 15, 2010

Ice (Damn!)

This has not been my week.  Sitting working today, I hear a huge crash.  (Think Santa and all reindeer falling off the roof like).  Realizing it's likely the enormous ice damn that had built up on the back of the house, I head out to take a look.  Sure enough, it was the ice dam and it decided to take my whole gutter and a couple of utility lines with it.  I'm also in mourning for our green turtle sandbox, who was crushed in the accident.  I'm afraid his shell has been completely broken.

My mind went completely blank on how to handle this, after owning the home for 7 years, I've never really had anything happen to it, outside of replacing the furnace, so what the hell do I do with this mess. 

My first call was to the insurance company, as I realized, hey this might be something covered.  So I called them.

Insurance rep.: "How can I help you". 
Me: "Hi, this is Mike X and I have my home owner policy through your office and my gutters just fell off the back of my house."
Insurance rep: "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that"
uncomfortable phone pause
Insurance rep: "Is there something I can do for you?"
Me thinking: "I didn't really call just to share"
Me: "Yes, I wanted to check and see if it was covered under my policy"
Insurance rep: "Oh (I think finally getting the reason for my call), ok let me check"

And luckily he came back and said it is, and the deductible isn't that bad.  Score one point.

So then I proceeded to call phone, cable, and electric companies because of the down lines.  Electric already showed up and confirmed theirs wasn't down, just the other two.  Phone's coming out by the end of the day to disconnect (since I have voice over IP now) and cable will be out tomorrow.  I was a bit worried about the phone, since I don't have a landline account, but AT&T who the line was through previously had no issue sending someone out and I found them to be fairly pleasant about it.

I've also scheduled a number of estimates (4 to be exact).  I'm a little concerned that I've got two scheduled tomorrow at the same time.  Is that a bad thing?  The other two couldn't get out until next week.  Oh well, I'm guessing they'll lose as they seemed more interested in insulation and other estimates then just fixing my damn gutter.  I get what they were saying about it but seriously dude, I have 50lbs of ice and crushed gutter sitting outside my house, if I had the money to put insulation in last year, I probably would have, but given the fact the house is probably on the market in the next year or two, we are in repair mode, rather then expand, since while not underwater, I'm not making a dime off of it.

Ok, rant over, as soon as I get my flash card loaded, I'll upload some pictures.

R.I.P Mr. Turtle.


One last thing, a friend had posted a comment on facebook last week, talking about his ice dam and how he was worried, as soon as I saw it, I knew I was going to have trouble at some point this year with it. Call it a hunch or whatever you want.  It's definitely one of those things I wish I was wrong about.

2 comments:

jk said...

The Plain Dealer and cleveland.com are creating what we hope will be the most comprehensive directory of Northeast Ohio bloggers. Yours is one I've been following, and I'd like to see it on our list. Please sign up at http://bit.ly/5pTxkw

If you have any questions, let me know.
-- John Kroll, jkroll@plaind.com

Michael said...

Thanks John,

I've filled out the form at Cleveland.com.