Tuesday, January 5, 2010

First TV recommendation for the year

I've slowly been weening myself off of TV programming this year. Sure we'll still watch a movie or I'll find something interesting to DVR and watch it later, but I found the new TV lineup this year to be severely lacking to my interest level.

I've typically had a hard time viewing cable shows on a regular basis. It's not that I don't want to watch them, it's just always been a bit of an effort to move the station they are on into my viewing habits. I remember seeing commercials for Mad Men years ago and thought I want to watch that, by the end of season one (pre DVR for me). I did not watch one show, and at that point, I really hated to jump in to year two. So I crossed it off my list. (Sad I know).

I had seen previews for Men of a Certain Age on TNT this year, and I have to admit I was intrigued. I'm a big Scott Bakula fan, Ray Romano intrigued me for a drama show and Andre Braugher has always been solid in my opinion.

I also liked the positioning of the show, I've ranted on the portrayal of men on TV before. In my opinion male characters on network television have been atrocious. It doesn't help that commercials have taken on the same philosophy too. (i.e men are idiots and should be portrayed as such). Before I get too far into this, I'll just say that I find nothing wrong with portraying flaws. The American male has his fair share and was overdue for some exposure on it. But the constant barrage made me start to wonder how much of that influence was moving into our everyday views.

I'm happy to say that not only does "Men of a Certain Age" combat this dimwitted view of males, it goes a step further and attempts to get inside the head of average males. With the emotion, thought processes, and challenges they are exposed to.

So if you have any interest in that sort of thing, or are looking for something different on Monday nights at 10pm on TNT. I urge you to give it a view.

You can also view the older episodes online at tnt.tv

1 comment:

wendy said...

The promos looked really great... I will check it out... thanks!