Friday, January 29, 2010

Communication and Technology Part 1

I started to type up a post about Social Media and Communication and it seemed to go all over the place, so I'm going to attempt to break it down into three parts. 

Let me start by saying this, "Technology has done nothing to enhance communication".  Make no mistake the tools technology has created are valuable and have potential, but the way they are used today is a disaster. 

I don't know if it is laziness or a perception issue, but most people don't seem to understand how their communication is perceived by others when put through technology.  We all have an ego-centric view of the world and in my opinion technology communication does a nice job of exposing this like an open wound.  People seem to forget how to interact when they utilize technology based communication; the result is a series of one sided communications, which people think are social. 

If you are expecting profound solutions in my next posts, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed; it's more of a rant on the state of things. I'm as perplexed as anyone when it comes to finding solutions to the problem.  I do hope that sharing some of my thoughts on the issue opens up the dialogue or gets people to start to think about how they communicate using new media.

No comments: