Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The week that work forgot

I have mixed feelings about the week after Christmas, on one hand it's great as there aren't a lot of people working, as many businesses close down or people take vacation. On the other hand, if you do wind up working this week, you run the risk of getting inundated with work from others and trying to track down people that are likely as overburdened as you if they are working.

Even knowing the possibility exists of getting hammered for work the last week of the year, I tend to hate burning vacation time for this week. When I have I feel like I'm not getting the most out of the vacation days. After all, it's not exactly easy to plan a trip somewhere, when you have family obligations popping up over the course of the two weeks, so you wind up stuck at home, or taking a day to return gifts that don't fit or that you didn't want in the first place.

It doesn't help that even if you decide to sit home, there's a nagging feeling that work would be easy this week and you've missed out on that too. I used to at least enjoy the fact that driving to work (when I used to) used to be extremely light for these two weeks, now that I'm working from home I don't even get the benefit of that. On top of it, working from home means that when there are 'pressing' issues that short easy day, can turn into a 12-13 hour day, yech.

I'm not trying to bitch here though, there are pros and cons to everything, I just find myself in the middle of a fairly weird week. Plus I'm trying to keep myself posting something fairly regularly. As much as I had ideas for posts during my 'vacation' I've seemed to have lost the mojo for some of those posts and the thoughts around them have turned into one large pile of meanderings, that I'm not quite ready to start to dissect.

Enough of that though, on to the New Year's Eve plans. My wife and I decided to go out with my best friend and his wife, in this case it means going to his wife's co-workers house for a 'couples' party. I'm sure it will be interesting, although I'm not exactly comfortable at the wine and cheese style parties which I believe this one will be. Think they'll mind if I bring a flask of Jager) and 4 pack of Redbull?

My new thought for the week/year, is that it's not that we get too old and tired to do something for New Year's it's just that it's damn near impossible to please everyone. My regular group of friends seemed to be stuck in limbo this year on what they wanted to do, as I thought about options, I considered one of the 'parties' where you pay for dinner and open bar, but couldn't find one that made sense (i.e price, lodging, transportation, people to go, etc). We went to one of those parties a couple years ago and while it was fun, it took a lot of work to organize for just two couples, much less 8-10 people. Not to mention, that after you factor in the party cost, how to get there and/or lodging, it starts to become a bit pricey, it just seemed like too much effort.

Which is why we are heading out with my best friend and his wife. It doesn't hurt that my wife would rather be doing something more low key such as this, I on the other hand, would rather be doing something a bit more high energy. (Although it is New Year's Eve and just when you think somethings going to go the way you expect, it surprises you)

I did get some good news today, I was expecting to be the DD and observe people drink wine and be pretentious, but it turns out my friend and his wife have offered to drive.

I also found out that the people's house we are going over are starting around 4 or 5, not sure what to make of that, as it either means they will be the kind of people I tend to function well around, or they'll be burned out by 10pm. I'll be arriving at around 7 with my Jager flask, consider it a social experiment.

Added post submission: Have a safe and Happy New Year to everyone who's taken the time to read my thoughts. I appreciate that you take the time to do so.

No comments: