Friday, December 4, 2009

Remember when you first heard your recorded voice?

I do, my brother and I used to tape silly songs on the tape recorder and play them back. I was amazed and even at that time slightly disenchanted with the sound of my own voice. (and let's just say the content of those tapes was just what you might expect 7 and 4 year old boys to put together if left to their own devices).

Which brings me to tonight, we finished recording our demo songs. 7 songs we got down for a cd to take to some of the bars and see if we can start getting paid. We only took them halfway through on each, but as soon as they are processed by our awesome sound man/drummer and converted to the right format, I'll work on figuring out how I can get something posted so you can hear it.

The music is incredible, I could go on and on about how well our drummer, bassist, and guitarist our, but you'll hear for yourselves. Which leaves how I sounded, I'll give myself a B to B minus, I did pretty well for a couple songs that I didn't quite expect to and sounded worse then I expected for a couple songs I expected to sound better for. I'm still in the process of understanding nuances of my voice, the sound system, and a variety of other things that come along with singing for a band. It's definitely getting there, but I still have a ways to go before I'll be satisfied.

I will say this though, the voice is much stronger then when I first started and I've learned a ton so far. There are a fair number of songs in our set list, that I'd say I basically force myself through rather then sing and adapt to the song. After certain practices, I can really start to spot the intricacies of some songs and know whether I'm really starting to own it or still just forcing my way through it. If you've ever played baseball it's the difference between fouling one off and hitting the sweet spot. I'm definitely starting to feel like I'm hitting the sweet spot on some of the songs. For the other ones, let's just say that I've got a strong enough voice to push through for now and some of them aren't ever going to be home runs for me, but I'll take a nice double or even a single.

For the songs we recorded tonight we tried to go with a medley that gave a good indication of what we are going to play. I'll save my self critique for when I post them.

Here's the list.

1. Wanted Dead or Alive (Bon Jovi)
2. Sex Type Thing (Stone Temple Pilots)
3. Don't You Forget about Me (Simple Minds)
4. Slither (Velvet Revolver)
5. Holiday (Green Day)
6. Nothing Else Matters (Metallica)
7. Symphony of Destruction (Megadeath)

1 comment:

Monica said...

Excellent play list--looking forward to hearing a sample!