Thursday, November 12, 2009

My free spirited Sagittarius

I have a bit of a fascination with astrology signs. I tend to find that people often display the characteristics of their signs. Now whether this is mystical based on the stars alignment at birth or a result of them being told what their characteristics are, I do not know. I just know that I find a lot of use out of the astrological signs in identifying personality traits of people and expected reactions of them in different situations.

My daughter's birth sign is Sagittarius. here's a partial character trait reference I found on the web:


This sign symbolizes the search for wisdom; this is the sign of the philosopher
and the explorer. They have an appetite for learning and travel. Such people
prefer to be footloose and fancy free, however should they become involved in a
relationship they make it as enjoyable and as much fun as possible. Normally
they are very gregarious, but they will be glad to find the time for that
special relationship. They concentrate all their attention on whatever they are
doing at the moment, and seem to see no other way but theirs until their effort
is made.



Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of Psychology can tell you a generalization such as this is just that, a generalization and any inherent meaning derived from it is ego based and subjective at best. They are probably right. A deeper view though would point out is that through our own self nurturing and nurture performed by others which can often reinforce these personality traits that are associated with the zodiac sign of our birth.

With my daughter, I have no doubt there are times I 'foster' her free spirit and fiery personality. There are things about her non stop energy, abundant curiosity, and determination that I relate to. It also happens to be that I'm a fire sign (Aries), and these are characteristics that are associated with all three of the fire signs. (Leo, Sag, and Aries). I also watch my wife, whose an Air sign (Gemini), become perplexed and exhausted in dealing with our daughter when she's exhibiting some of these traits. At which time I tend to think my daughter's behaviour is perfectly normal. Are these traits mystical due to a birth associated with the stars alignment? Based on this paragraph, probably not, as it's just as likely to be genetic or nurturing based on her physiology or how I interact with her.

However, last night when we took the little one to her gymnastics class, it was evident to me she doesn't have all the associated traits of her father or mother. And as a matter of fact, she has some very unique ones. I identified in the title of this post, that the best way to describe my daughter is as a free spirit. It's not about the destination for her, it's about the journey, she's just as likely to become enthralled with a flower on the path to a destination as she is with the destination itself.

A couple points of reference from her gymnastics class, they break 1/2 way through for water and every time I've been there, she's last in line to get water, she starts out in the middle of the pack and then sort of gets preoccupied with other things as other's move up. I find myself fascinated that this doesn't seem to bother her at all. She seems to proceed under the belief that she'll get to the water at some point and it's not going anywhere. And since it's not going anywhere , there are plenty of other things to pay attention to or do in the meantime. (I should incorporate this view into my own life)

They also walk them through what amounts to an obstacle course, where the teacher demonstrates the path and them turns them loose, she's typically last again (due to preoccupation with watching the 'big girls' dancing). As she goes through the course, I watch as she consistently gets sidetracked and doesn't continue on the course in an orderly manner, dancing and redoing things that catch her interest at the moment. If they were grading her participation on a standardized scale, she would not score well. To her , this is the most natural way to proceed, when I try to explain to her the benefit of following the course and the other children, she looks at me like I'm an alien.

Those are two examples (there are more, but without visuals they'd be harder to describe). I know that she's only 4 years old. And I realize my expectations of how she should be doing things may be a bit off. I don't expect her to have the focus of an adult or an older child, but it should be pointed out that her classmates, of the same age, do not have these issues.

I do wonder how much of an adjustment she'll have to make in a school setting, but otherwise I don't have an issue with the behaviour. I find it a bit amusing and it provides me some insight into how she is developing and viewing the world.

I do find that it fits a lot of my views and experience with Sagittarius. I find them to be a bit of a free spirit, who are friendly, with boundless energy, and curiosity. As another fire sign, I love it. Well at least until she starts maturing, dating boys, and displaying further characteristics that make her so likable. Then again that was going to be a problem regardless of her sign.

2 comments:

wendy said...

Love this post.. you certainly do have a special talent with the written word and self expression ; )

Michael said...

Thank you, very much appreciated. It's funny, with my writing and singing I have a hard time reading and hearing it, perhaps I am actually an artist and I just don't know it.