Sunday, November 22, 2009

Back in the saddle and big plans for the week ahead

Back in front of the computer for the week, had a band practice today, which went pretty good as we made it through two of our sets. I did zero in on some of the trouble areas I'm having though, specifically three songs that seem to really throw me off. I'll get to that in a later post though.

A couple big things though this week, first one is Thanksgiving, I don't know what I love more, 3 day work weeks with half the world on vacation (jinxing myself here). Or the whole eating, cooking, relaxing bonanza that accompanies it. We are heading over to my aunt's house (a first) for this Thanksgiving, which means I don't have to do a ton of preparation on Wednesday night. However I have promised to make at least one dessert, and I'll likely do two, just because I enjoy it so much. I'll be making my pumpkin toffee cheesecake and possibly a banana cream pie. Can't wait, baking is such a good stress reliever.

Going out for Thanksgiving does bum me out in one way, the fact that we will have no leftovers (gasp). If I haven't stated it before, leftovers are the wife and my secret weapon on saving ourselves huge amounts of time and stress. Most of our meals are planned on having at least one days of leftovers available as a second meal, heck, many of the meals we order from restaurants are based on the same premise. 3/4 of our winter meals are based on crock pot soup made Sunday and then adding accompaniments for 3-4 days worth of meals.

Anyway, Thanksgiving dinner makes for great leftovers and so many different ways to use them (soups, turkey Reubens, potato cakes, turkey BBQ pizza,as just a couple of examples). Plus it usually means we won't cook until Monday or Tuesday and by then we'll be so sick of turkey we'll just order pizza for two days of meals. Eating at my aunt's means we will be leftoverless (word?). So it means I'll be cooking on Friday, and I'm extremely excited about that. Especially since I get to try these new Paula Deen Sweet potato balls http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/sweet-potato-balls-recipe/index.html
Don't they look awesome?

On top of cooking the meal on Friday, I'll be getting up early in the morning to hit the Black Friday sales, after mapping out the game plan on Thursday night, I'll be descending on the masses in order to pick out a car full of Christmas gifts. I headed out two years ago on Black Friday almost accidentally, my mother mentioned something on sale at dinner and when I got home I looked over the ads and put together a sort of map of where I wanted to go. I didn't think I would get up, but wound up waking up very early and headed out and made a killing. I was able to repeat the process last year and I'm now officially hooked.

The key for me is not looking for the super fantastic deal where people wait 1000 deep at 11pm Thanksgiving night for a 6am opening, but rather finding really, really, good deals at places that are sort of off the beaten path. Which means I don't have to wait in huge lines and I can knock out 2 or 3 of these before 7am and even if I don't get anything else, I've got success for the day.

Beyond the great deals though, Black Friday is really an event, there is an energy among the shoppers and the store personnel. This isn't to say that everyone is cheery, there are plenty of people that would push over their Grandma to get the item they want and plenty of workers that don't give a shit, but if you look for it, you will see people having fun.

So that's what I'm looking forward to for the week, Wednesday baking, Thursday eating and planning, Friday fighting the masses and cooking the big dinner, and then Friday or Saturday night decorating for Christmas.

I'm all over the place right now with this, but I'll post some more thoughts on Thanksgiving dinner prep, Black Friday, and some other traditions around the house later this week.

Oh one other thing, I'm going to try some live blogging on Black Friday as well. I'll be posting pictures and putting updates on the site through my phone. It's something I've wanted to try for a while and day lends itself well to the process as you can see some crazy things and there are times when you have a ton of wait time standing in lines in which to type updates.

2 comments:

Monica said...

You should show up to Thanksgiving dinner with Tuperware in tow ;)

Michael said...

I would but since is the first Thanksgiving at her house, what if I don't like the stuff? Then it would be very awkward going home with empty containers. :)