Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Wednesday morning fun

I've got a cold or sinus issues. Yech!

Regardless of which it is, it sucks. Especially in hot and humid temperatures, talk about being miserable. It feels worse then it really is too, as it's such a rare occurrence anymore, one of the benefits of working from home is your opportunities to come in contact with germy people is severely reduced.

Of course my symptoms started to manifest late Monday night and sleeping Monday was a bit of a struggle to say the least, wonderful timing for it too, with the first official practice on Tuesday, but luckily enough drugs, cough drops, and pushing through it enabled me to make it through the practice and only sound like kermit the frog on a couple songs.

Practice on Tuesday outside of some nasally sounding songs went very well. I'm very happy with how much my voice stretched out from week one to week two and the comfort level on certain songs is getting very high. I still had a ton of timing issues on stuff I wasn't as familiar with, but I was able to struggle through them the second round of trying.

It looks like the first and second set lists are fairly complete and I'm pretty excited about them. Here's what we have so far.
1st set
1. Sex Type Thing (Stone Temple Pilots)
2. Machinehead (Bush)
3. Gel (Collective Soul
4. One (Creed)
5. Far Behind (Candlebox)
6. Rebel Yell/White Wedding (Billy Idol
7. December (Collective Soul)
8. Man in the Box (Alice in Chains)
9. Kryptonite (3 Doors Down)
10. Interstate Love Song (Stone Temple Pilots)

2nd set (order possibly changing down the line)

1. Pour Some Sugar on Me (Def Leppard)
2. Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode) (no line dancing allowed :) ) Actually any dancing will be encouraged and it's a song the other guys want to do, so what the hell, should be interesting.
3. Nothing but a good time (Poison)
4. End of the World (REM)
5. What I like about you (Romantics)
6. Summer of 69 (Bryan Adams)
7. Don't you forget about me (Simple Minds)
8. Good (Better then Ezra)
9. What I got (Sublime)
10. The Promise (When in Rome)
11. Learn to Fly (Foo Fighters)
12. Never tear us apart (INXS)

The third set is still in discussion, it looks like it's going to be some harder sounding material, which has worked for the guys in the past, it will just be a manner of finding what works for my range and style.

I'm definitely having some trouble with timing due to the difference between actual versions and the produced songs I'm used to, however they do seem to be for only a few songs, so I'm fairly confident I'll be able to get those down.

I tend to get frustrated with things like this though, i.e. things that need to be second nature when learning a new skill. It's a personality quirk in that I get impatient with it, but ultimately I know my impatience just is the fuel I use to ensure I focus on it and learn it quickly. By making the timing second nature, I can start to focus on the pitch and projection issues I want to move onto.

I mentioned before, but it looks like the drummer is having a birthday party on 9/12 for his wife and we'll get a chance to do some performing in front of a live audience (and hopefully a friendly, slightly drunk audience :) ). It should be a good time and I have to start talking to some friends to see who maybe up for going. The performance isn't likely to be very tight, as it's only about 4 days of practice, but given 2-5 of the first set sound pretty good right now, it's not unreasonable to think we'll have 12-15 quality songs ready and then 10 more that might be a little rough.

That's enough for today. Other stuff going on but nothing I want to write about, hope wherever you are your Wednesday is a good one.

No comments: