Thursday, August 27, 2009

Meanderings of an old teenager

I'm looking for something to write, I'm just in the mood. Unfortunately the issues that are likely the catalyst for this feeling aren't ones I can write about, we'll just leave it at "it's complicated".

Which means I need to use this post as a distraction. Something that's interesting enough to make me finish it, yet essentially avoids the true catalyst.

I guess I'll revisit getting older. I had another episode this week where I unequivocally realized I'm getting old. Let me try to explain. I've had previous posts that talk about me getting together with this band. As we've been practicing, I've also been going through potential songs that I can cover and I stumbled upon one of the old songs they did with their previous singer. "We're not going to take it" by Twisted Sister.

I was also watching VH1 "One Hit Wonders of the 80's" this week and it was one of the videos they played. The commentary about the song/video was that it was the ultimate 80's kid anthem. The song came out in 1984, which would have put me at 11 years old and on the brink of teenager land. I remember every boy in school seemed to love that damn song, it might have been my first clash with pop music culture.

The song has popularity and nostalgia going for it. We are likely to play for older crowds and considering that, it's probably a good choice. It's vocals are also likely in my range, which is why I was looking it over. It also doesn't hurt that the band had previously played it and by choosing it we would minimize the amount of new material they'd have to learn before we were able to do a show.

As I was thinking about all of these things, I suddenly had this weird feeling come over me. When I think about this song I relate to it as an 11 year old boy, now I wanted to sing it as a 36 year old man?

It's a rock anthem about rebellion and growing up. Nowadays I'm part of the 'establishment' rebelling is done against me , not by me. I'm the old guy in the video not the kid. To say it was sobering and disturbing at the same time would be an understatement. Just another instance of where the hell did my 20's go and I'm really going to join a band at 36 approaching 40? Weird, if I was in my late 20's the thoughts of this wouldn't even cross my mind. Heck, if I was on the underside of 35, it probably wouldn't phase me. I think it's the fact that I realize I'm now closer to 50 rather then 20. I know I still have a way to go, but as I stated earlier it's still sobering.

My gut instinct right now is to not try and do the song, if the band asks I'll give it a shot in practice and I'll probably relent to performing it if it sounds good, after all it's a fun song and for the nostalgia factor it's likely a solid choice. Maybe I just need to think I'm rebelling against the oppressing baby boomers that are hanging on rather then retire or are intent on sucking Social Security dry. I'll put together a YouTube video of us pushing some older gentlemen in a wheel chair down the stairs as we limp down after him with our canes.

2 comments:

wendy said...

No wonder why you loved karaoke. I can't wait to see the video!

Michael said...

Thanks, the anxiety is starting over displaying myself in video and photos. Yech, who wants to look at that :) Hopefully I can distract with my voice.