Monday, June 1, 2009

Weekend update

Had a great weekend, had a chance to take Laurie out yesterday for her birthday. Since her birthday's today, we thought it would be easier to do some activities on Sunday rather then trying to fit them all in after work today.

First up was taking her to play tennis. She's wanted to learn how to play for a while now now and I bought her a racket for her birthday. I found out that Garfield Heights has 3 fairly nice tennis courts, so that's where we headed.

It took Laurie a little bit of time to used to the feel and swing of the racket, but she picked up on it very quickly and I'm confident in a month or so she'll be ready for a full game. I do know as of this morning, we are both terribly sore from our first tennis outing.

After that, we came back to the house and cleaned up. We then headed over to the Bonefish Grill, it's a 'sister' restaurant to Outback. I had given Laurie a number of restaurants to choose from and this was her choice. She told me that she was really craving some lobster, having missed out on some opportunities recently to get some and not finding anything serviceable in Myrtle Beach. It was a good meal, while Bonefish is a chain, it's a solid chain and while it won't blow you away it's not going to severely disappoint either. It also didn't hurt that I had a $25 gift certificate. Laurie loved her lobster tails and I had one of their steak specials. We decided to share a piece of key lime pie for dessert and while it wasn't bad, the waiter noticed we weren't thrilled with it. He asked if we were Florida natives. We told him "no, we weren't, but that my grandmother was for a number of years and makes the most outstanding key lime pie." He seemed to nod in acknowledgement having heard this before, he did comment "at least their key lime pie wasn't some mean green atrocity." I'd have to agree with him there, while it wasn't great it wasn't horrible, just not as good as what my grandmother makes.

One caveat to my grandma's key lime pie. It's funny how good her pie is because she's not known for her cooking, as a matter of fact the one thing she makes that's extraordinary is key lime pie. It's light and fluffy and has so much key lime taste too it, it should be illegal. I'm working on getting the recipe as it's truly outstanding.

One other thing from dinner, I should point out the 'waiter' I reference wasn't our waiter but rather the person who filled our drinks and kept tabs on us. Our 'waiter' was really poor and if it wasn't for the gentlemen who filled our drinks and kept tabs on us, I'd have been disappointed with the service. I'd like to believe that the 'star' server was just a waiter from another table but if in fact he was the water boy and not a waiter, then restaurant management there is very bad as they have things completely backwards.

We finished off the night by going to see Angels and Demons. The movie was pretty good even though it strayed from the book in a large number of ways. This effort was much better then the DaVinci code, but I expected that as this story was better suited for a movie given the plot. DaVinci code was a wonderful book but translated poorly to a movie. I'm hoping to get into a review/discussion here in one of the posts this week on the movie, if time permits.

So all in all a good birthday day for the wife, at least as far as she tells me. I'm sitting here on Monday sore and sunburned and have hastily rushed through this recap. But I thought a hastily put together recap would be better then none at all. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to put together some good posts this week, a lot of that will depend on how work goes. Hope you have a great week.

No comments: