Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Not much love for Tuesdays

If everyone loves Fridays and everyone hates Mondays, where does that leave the other weekdays? Wednesday is hump day and Thursday is "must see TV" (is it really?). Which means Tuesday is left with nothing, no definition, no clever marketing, just a boring day that most of us never experience a hangover on. (Think about it, who gets drunk on Monday night?).

I wish I had a cool idea for giving Tuesday some perspective, but I don't. It's just one of those weird things that crossed my mind this morning as I looked over the gobs of work email. The only suggestions I have so far are Tuesday, it's not Monday or Tuesday, who the fuck cares. Inspiring aren't they?

Not much going on today for me outside of work. Made it to the gym again this morning and grabbed a McCafe Mocha for the first time, haven't tried it yet, but interested in seeing how it compares to Starbucks. I've been good lately and have avoided Starbucks for about a month to save some dollars. It's so easy to get in the habit of going even when I work from home that every once in awhile I have to put a stop to it and actually use my perfectly good espresso maker here if I want a fix.

I've got some posts that I'm working to fully think through before trying to write them, pending the amount of time I have this week, I should be able to get to one of them at least.

After yesterday's poor start, I tried to make up for it by making a desert last night. (when all else fails, bake) I went with something new and it actually turned out pretty good, so here's the recipe. I like it, as it has a lot of taste and mix of flavors, without being too work intensive or too heavy. Plus with all the mixing Bronwyn was able to give me a hand. The other good thing is it was stuff already in the cupboard or the freezer. Think of it as a fruit tart.

Crust
1 box yellow cake mix.
1 1/4 cup of milk
1/4 stick of butter

1 package instant pudding (banana cream or vanilla)
1 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup lemonade
3 oranges

Melt the butter and mix with the milk, add in cake mix and stir to combine.
Bake at 350 degrees in a non stick pan. Bake until toothpick comes out clean or whatever amount the box says. Don't worry if it doesn't rise or it falls when it's been pulled out of the oven. It's really just the crust for your desert.

Make the instant pudding.

Soak dried cranberries in lemonade or some other liquid to rehydrate. Give it some time to soak up, a couple hours would be best. Drain once completed. I like lemonade here as it seems to give them a bit of a kick, but use anything you want. Water would be fine too.

Grate some zest off the oranges. Cut the oranges into small wedges, whatever technique you want to use is fine for this or however you want them to look.

You can put the pudding over the crust, after the crust cools and top with the fruit, if you want to be done with it or take it to a party. I took a different route and simply kept all ingredients separate and then put them together when serving. That way the crust doesn't become too mushy after a day or so in the fridge. Besides the crust by itself isn't too bad either.

I totally fell in love with an orange, pineapple, and re-hydrated cranberry salad I made last week, and had to figure out how to get the orange and cranberries into something else, so the result was this. Hope you enjoy.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I had no idea you were such the baker! Sounds delicious indeed!

Michael said...

Yes, I picked it up as a hobby about 5 or 6 years ago, I got tired of not creating anything and it filled a need. However it doesn't always help the waistline. For the blog its nice though, as it gives me material to talk about, the good ones and the disasters :)