Monday, May 4, 2009

Maybe I should have stayed in bed

This is turning into one of those days, where I probably just should have stayed in bed. I guess I can't complain much, it's been a long time since I remember having one of these; however I don't think that makes it any better for how I'm feeling so far this morning.

Where to start, well besides being Monday, it was pretty damn cold this morning. I woke up being unable to turn my neck to the right after sleeping wrong last night, always a pleasant start to any day. After a nice weekend in the mid 60's I was hopeful the morning would hold that temperature as well, it appears Mother Nature had other ideas though.

I decided yesterday after Laurie, Bronwyn, and I went for a bike ride, that I'd keep my bike on the car and ride it in the morning. My reasoning was that being outside would be a better start to the week then going to the gym. Great idea or so I thought, I got up, took the dog out and realized it was a bit cold, but I threw on a sweatshirt and layered up and headed down to the valley. I just mentioned last week how I planned on using my thin gloves, which are in in my car if I ride during cold weather, so of course I forgot to put them on. By the time I realized that I really was going to need them, I was too far along to go back.

I then spent the better part of my ride, wishing it was over and taking frequent breaks to try and regain the feeling in my hands and fingers by putting them in the pockets of my fleece pullover. To say it was mind numbing pain would be an understatement. After the ride I sat in my car with the heat on full blast for a good 15 minutes just to regain feeling and wait for the pain to subside.

Not the best start to the day, but I did exercise outside. This let me satisfy the stubborn portion of my mind, that had decided it didn't want to go to the gym this morning. It also didn't help my mood any that every song on the ipod this morning stunk. I began questioning who actually put this playlist together. There were at least 3 or 4 songs that I didn't recognize and 2 or 3 others that really just stunk. In the scheme of things, bad music for the morning workout isn't the worst thing in the world, but it just added to my dismal mood for the morning.

So that's the start to my Monday, I'm finally typing this up 4 hours after my morning ride started (I think it's because my fingers have finally regained feeling). I've decided I'm going to stay away from convenience stores today, as I don't want to slip into a Michael Douglas inspired psychological break. Besides, with the candy bar prices of today, he'd really flip out.

In mentioning the movie "Falling Down" I can't help but wonder if every male past the age of 30, who has ever blogged, has at least considered a "Falling Down" related post during their blogging existence. As bad as that movie was, Michael Douglas' character had a realness to him, that isn't often seen for working class men on screen.

Hope you have a better start to your Monday.



No comments: