Friday, April 17, 2009

Friday musings

Another Friday is here. And so little to talk about, honestly can life in mid-America at slightly less then middle age be any more routine?

Oh well, at least it's a solid routine, roof over the head, weather's getting nicer, etc, etc, yada, yada. Of course I could go on and on about the little one, but that's more self indulgent then anything else. So that leaves talking about frivolous things that are off the top of the head.


1. When the hell did lunch meat become gourmet cuisine. Has anyone seen the price of this crap lately, regularly 5.99-8.99 a pound for sodium infused, pressed together meat. Wasn't it in my life time that lunch meat was a cheap meal alternative? Hell I've seen whole beef tenderloins regularly priced at $7.99 a pound and on sale for $5.99/lb. So let's see I can have filet mignon or turkey pressings for dinner, that doesn't seem to be a hard decision.

2. The Indians suck, but beating the Yankees in their home opener, has given me a bit of hope, not to mention it felt really good. (Anxiously awaiting that feeling of maybe they aren't so bad to be shot down though.)

3. I'm about an inch away from swearing off the Browns for a couple years. Matter of fact if they trade Brady Quinn for junk, I'm done for at least this season. While I'm sure the 'football' people are more knowledgeable then I in many football matters, I just can't get on board with some of these moves. And truth is I'm tired of wasting my time and money on this team. Maybe I'll finally by an Eagles jersey.

4. This one has been bugging me for awhile. Listening to the previous executive branch administration that was in office for 8 years or their pundits who want to outline/blame why we have financial issues as a country (because of the previous administration) is a bit bogus in my opinion. While I'm sure Clinton's administration did enact policies that affected the current environment, the fact is when it's your job to run the country, your role means you have the responsibility to anticipate and adjust policies based on the current and future states of the issue. Whatever policies Clinton's admin or the Republican or Democratic congress may have enacted during that time, very well may have been necessary/beneficial for that time. By then sitting 8 years in office, Bush's administration either ignored, was unaware of, or was incapable of making effective changes in leading the country. What other job in the world, can you sit and do nothing for 8 years and then when catastrophic problems hit blame your predecessor for the issue?

While I'm sure there are those that think this is a Democrat tilted tirade, I can assure you it is not, it's about holding those elected to office accountable to perform the duties they are entrusted with and in my opinion the Bush administration failed. Ah, if only the right wing conservatives hadn't performed a smear job on John McCain during the primary between Bush and McCain, it was so the time for McCain to be president, unfortunate really.

Ok I've broken the seal and moved to politics a bit. Maybe that will let me get into it more in the future. There's a whole bunch saved up for some of my favorite Democratic targets as well, Dennis Kucinich and the Cuyahoga County Democratic party.

Until then, have a good weekend, enjoy the spring weather.

No comments: