Monday, April 27, 2009

Damn that was some nice weather

Wow, what a weekend, 80 degrees everyday, sunny, with no rain. It was perfect weather, especially for April. Got a ton done in the yard on Saturday, it's amazing at how crappy my small yard can look after a rough winter. I have most of the leaves cleaned from a top of the pool cover and a good portion of the water siphoned off, although I'm dreading getting the pool into shape. What a pain in the ass that is, measure chemicals, fill chemicals, clean the filter, I spend way more time maintaining the pool then I do inside of it. But it is nice especially if we have a hot summer and the girls do get a good amount of use out of it.

I hit the bike trail down in the valley this morning. Unfortunately I never made it out on a bike ride this weekend, so I was bound and determined to go this morning. It's such a great stretch for 5 miles one way. Right now with no foliage, you get such a different view of things then the way it looks come June or July, where you feel fully surrounded by the trees and leaves. Plus there is the contrast of everyone going to work, driving along on the other side of the canal. I'm hoping to get some pictures sometime of the ride and I'll post them. One of the things I love about working from home is there are times I take advantage of it, like a 7am bike ride. I did great last year and managed to go 3-4 times a week for about 8 weeks. It's something that I just wouldn't have been able to do working in an office. Either I would have to get up way too early or I'd have to try and fit it in to some other part of the day. I still enjoy the rides later in the day, but the morning rides are all mine, I don't have the additional 35lb 'little one' on the back and I can put the ipod on and just pedal away. Very relaxing and isolated.

I'm going to be all sorts of depressed tomorrow when it's back to 55 in the morning. It's just too cold in the valley to ride at that temp, especially since the valley itself is a damn wind tunnel. Great when it's on your back, absolutely horrible when it's against you. And of course I'm always guaranteed at least half my ride will have it against me. I just checked the weather now and all week is going to be at that temp, crap. Well maybe I'll get some pants for the ride and put some gloves on to save my knuckles. It's like a drug though once I got out there once, so I know I'm going to want to again this week, rather then going to the gym in the morning.

Besides yard work this weekend, I went clothes shopping. I needed some short sleeve shirts and shorts and I'm too picky and too cheap to go just anywhere so clothes shopping for me means a day of going to 10 or so stores to try and find exactly what I want at the price I want to pay for it. Definitely not an easy task. I got a little lucky yesterday, found about 4 shirts and 2 pairs of shorts and some stuff for Bronwyn, for about $60 total (Gabriel Brothers rules!). I was even thrilled when the two Claiborne shirts I was debating about getting (because of price) wound up being about 40% cheaper then the tag stated. So I think I actually have summer clothes now, although I do have to find some non button up shirts, but that's for another day.

One bit of a rant, I hate shopping for clothes anymore and it's not even a guy (hate shopping) thing. I just don't have time to find things that are right for me. Very few things fit me right. It took me years to realize that I have no torso, and that I'm all legs. So even though I have broad shoulders, large shirts look weird on me because I have no torso. Combine that with the fact that depending on my weight, medium shirts aren't always the 'best' look for me. Whether its because I don't think that I look good dressed up as a sausage (think sausage casing, stuff the meat in) or my shoulders seem to want to burst out of the "girly" man shirts like a Chris Farley/Tommy Boy impression. The fact is, picking clothes out for me is a huge pain in the ass. The biggest pain about it, is I just don't have the time to go look and try on shit to see if it's right. I don't mind the hunt, just wish I had more time. Oh well, if I was a woman being all legs wouldn't be a bad thing, (Bronwyn's appears to have the all leg thing too, my heart attack is only 15 years away ). But alas I'm a guy, so I continue to try and understand who designs these clothes for men.

Hopefully I'll get to the gym during lunch today and then for another ride tonight with the wife and little one. If it's nice where you are, hope you get to enjoy the day.

No comments: