Thursday, March 12, 2009

Quitting smoking

I'm going to try and quit smoking. (Again!) I know, I know, save the sermons, it's a shitty habit, it will kill you, blah, blah, blah. I'm not unaware of that, but the truth is, I really love to smoke. My mood is better, I definitely am less stressed, and while I haven't quite kept the weight off I want, I know it contributes to curving the hunger.

I'm sure this is going to be an interesting ride, last year, I think I managed to quit for about 3 weeks. That was far and away my best effort in attempting to quit I think I have enough nicotine in my system from the last 7 days to last me a good month, before I get the shakes.

I constantly come back to this line from the movie "Dead Again" Robin Williams tells Kenneth Brannaugh, "You're either a smoker or you're not, the trick is to find out which one you are and be it" Problem is, I know I'm a smoker (think philisophically), I'm just going to have to figure out how to be a smoker that doesn't smoke.

*Update* Might have to rethink the timing on this one, as the first day it's supposed to happen, you aren't supposed to go above 50% of your normal amount, although a variety of factors contributed to that. With all thats going on now, perhaps it might be more prudent to wait awhile to try and embark on this change.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Found your site through Hurricane Mikey. I just quit chewing tobacco the beginning of this year. This is my second attempt at quitting and it is a day to day thing. Nicotene is a mother.

For the longest time, I was like you. I did not want to quit. I enjoyed it too much. It is more difficult to quit when things are rocky. But if you can find a good reason that will make you want to quit, that will help. Then, it's a day at a time. Going to bed that first night following a day with no smokes will be the hardest. But then, day by day, it will get easier.

I am, by no means, "cured." I still dream about it. I still have a craving. But I know that if I take a deep breath, it will go away. Quit smoking today...then quit smoking again tomorrow. You can get there.

Good luck.

Maddog

Michael said...

Thanks MD, I appreciate the advisement and know it's right on. I'm never going to 'get' over it, even last year when I went about 3 weeks, it was just a matter of constant internal struggle. I do have some good reasons to quit though and your right in that I need to focus on them. Hope this attempt for you takes.