Friday, March 27, 2009

Friday Random Thoughts II

I guess that will be the title for now on the Friday posts. The creative muse just hasn't been there this week to get into any deeper topics, so while I'm sure you are fascinated by my posts on the commitment to getting back in shape, deep down I know they are probably a bit lacking.

It does seem to be the topic of the week though, so here's the update. I made it through 2 a days through Wednesday. Had the opportunity to go Thurs. and Fri. morning, but some late nights prevented that. Not to mention the fact that I'm sore as shit and have been all week. The good news is that it's a really good schedule for me and the next two weeks it appears there won't be any interference, giving me a chance to get into a really good pattern with it. The other positive is that even though I'm sore, it's a good sore, nothing pulled or debilitating that would cause a delay in getting on track. Definitely a positive week, although it took some swallowing my pride in some of the weight levels I chose for the machines. Embarrassingly low, but I have to keep reminding myself it's not a competition.

I'm afraid my drinking abstinence isn't going to make it through this weekend. Going out tomorrow night for my birthday (next Monday). And my wife has agreed to be the designated driver for the night. Plan is to go see a band at the Boneyard in Mayfield, that covers a bunch of 80's and 90's tunes. I'm hopeful that it will be a fun night out, in truth I've struggled to come up with something I want to do. It's a function of being in a funk, I keep looking for the perfect night out to help lift me out of it, and unfortunately nothing seems to fit the bill. I suppose it's like the weight lifting in that I need to remind myself I need to take small steps. The band by the way is Run Avril Run, there website is here: http://www.runavrilrun.com/ . Lately I've had a desire to see more live music (with a particular interest in cover bands or bands playing covers). Unfortunately this is the first one we'll be going to see since New Years 2008, 15 months seems like too long a period of time for that, but it just hasn't fit the schedule of things to do, it will be nice to see if it's actually something I want to do more often.

I ran into a bit of a jealous moment this week. I saw my brothers new hobby car. A 1977(year might be wrong) corvette stingray. I'm not a big car fan, as a matter of fact, besides the look of the car I have little interest in the 'under the hood'. But if I was going to buy a corvette, it's the type of car I would have got, most of the other models are boring to me. On top of that, he's shown restraint for this one, picked it up on the cheap with some minimal work needed on it, which is how I would approach it as well. Good for him though, my jealous moment only lasted a second or two. I just have to figure out what type of project car I want to get. Unfortunately I think the stingray is now out though, as I'd prefer something different since he has one unless I find one that I just can't refuse. Is it a mid-life crisis thing to want a sports car?

IBM laid off another 5,000 employees this week (yesterday). Didn't find about that until Wednesday night, the good thing is if I hadn't heard about it, it likely meant it wasn't affecting my group and it wasn't. And while Hewlett Packard is laying off 25,000, it still sucks. I constantly wonder what the future is going to bring with it in relation to my job. While I keep building skills, at the same time I keep raising my salary, which means less types of jobs available, if I want to stay at that salary level. I know that if I was laid off, being at IBM for 10 years (next month, holy crap that's a long time) looks pretty damn good for looking for a new position. It's just a matter of finding a new job that works with what I want outside of it. I really should just say the hell with balancing work/life and start shooting for career path that leads to the director level or vp level. They are essentially protected from 'resource actions' but I just don't know how to focus myself and keep my family self relevant. I fear I become a bit too focused at times, which causes me to neglect all sorts of things. I'm sure I'll have more to say about this in the future.

Fun thing of the week, Drink recipe: Watermelon Margaritas:

With warmer weather coming, this is one of my favorite warm weather drinks, take left over watermelon, cut it up to pieces that fit in a blender and freeze them until needed. When fully frozen, throw them in the blender (this is your ice cubes), add some nice tequila, a little bit of lemon juice and some grand mariner or triple sec to the blender. Blend it up and enjoy, sugar rimmed glasses optional. (the frozen fruit as ice cubes options works well with pineapple too, but that's another recipe).

Hope everyone has a good weekend, try something new, it keeps you young!

No comments: