Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Really, its called a Snuggie?



Ok, so I thought I was going to post something deep tonight, and half way through realized the topic and thoughts were too ambitious at this time, so I decided to go a bit lighter in content.

What the hell is a Snuggie? https://www.getsnuggie.com/flare/next

Well if you are using the internet you probably already know what one is, it's a friggin blanket with sleeves, groundbreaking it's not.


Robe: The original Snuggie!

So I'm trying to understand the fascination with it, I really am, now don't get me wrong, I sort of think it's neat that we have some new fad, while things sort of bubble up differently nowadays due to email and the internet, it's sort of neat to see something that looks like it's straight out of the 80's resonate with people.

But let's take a look at some of my questions: When did wrapping oneself in a blanket become such a difficult task? Do people mummify themselves or loved ones so much that they are incapable of adjusting to hold the phone or remote? Why would you go to a sporting event with one? If you have two snuggies and you cut holes can you have sex while wearing them?

These are the things that go through my head. I decided to pose a of the questions to the wife, now mind you, my wife seems to like Snuggies. But she's a bit pro-blanket anyway, after all she swears there is an alarm attached to the thermostat that alerts me if it's turned up (even when I'm out of town), and she seems to be perpetually wrapped up in a blanket in our old drafty house at night.

Me: So please tell me what the hell is the purpose of these?
Wife: They have sleeves it's awesome, you can hold stuff while wearing them and they'll keep you warm.

Me: But it's a friggin blanket
Wife: Yes with sleeves, cool huh

Me: Um, no, why not wear a robe?
Wife: They aren't warm enough

Me: (at this point I know she is just messing with me ) So you mean the 3 ply robe that pulls down the hook on the door because it's so heavy?
Wife: Well they aren't blankets, it's not the same, you can't wear a robe to a sports game. By the way do you think people get beat up for wearing snuggies at sports games?

Me: Probably not, because it's likely women wearing them, if the guys wearing it he better be with a women, otherwise, he's probably getting punched or at the very least a drink spilled on him.

Me: So what happens if a couple is both wearing snuggies and decided to have sex, do the arms get tangled, do they cut holes in the snuggie, how does it work?
Laurie:

So without an answer to that question, I guess I have to pose it to anyone that cares to comment on it.

3 comments:

wendy said...

too funny! The first time I saw the commercial for this super wearable blanket, I couldn't stop laughing. I remember thinking that every invention has now been thought of. And the scary part is who came up with this thing and how did they think of it? Hysterical. I'm so glad you picked up your blog again. You're a great writer, keep it up dear Cleveland!

Michael said...

Thanks so much for the feedback, I fear as well that everything may now well be invented. I'm enjoying the blog, but definitely struggling at times to put the thoughts to prose without being completely boring.

wendy said...

I hear you when you say talk about the struggle of not being boring. Try to just let it flow. Easier said than done, I know... Have fun with it : )