Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Nothing deep, just current events

I thought I'd just post about some of the things going on currently in my life.

Bronwyn continues to amaze me on a daily basis, she's completely obsessed with putting puzzles together, so much so, that I fet she was doing her older ones, much too quickly and went out and got her a couple new ones. Her mom was very appreciative of how much I was trying to foster Bronwyn's spatial intelligence, well not completely, as these puzzles added another group of 'things' that get piled up on the floor. I believe the exact comment was "Hey why don't we get her some more puzzles and we can just put them all over the floor." I can appreciate her sarcasm here, after all, when Bronwyn's finished a puzzle, she has them pushed to the base of the TV, and doesn't like to them put away, so it can be 'interesting' to see 4 puzzles laid out. And our house like any other with little children has tons of toys all around and looks to be in a perpetual state of chaotic mess. My suggestion to the wife, was to take a deep breath, chill out, and relax as the house is never going to be 'clean' again until I'm guessing at least Bronwyn's 10th birthday. I realize that is cautiously optimistic though and besides I'll trade some messiness for IQ points/development any day of the week.

Bronwyn's also working on her new facial expressions, she's so like a sponge, so I'm always trying to work backward to where she might have picked them up from. Her newest one, is to throw her hands across her chest, squint the eyes, raise the chin and say 'fine'. It's pure cariacture and imitation, and always accompanied by her laugh. I have no idea what I'm going to do when it's for real. I'm pretty sure she picked this one up from her mother, although I'm still trying to figure it out, Bronwyn won't tell me. So far, she's blamed Dora and Kei-Lan and I'm pretty sure from watching the shows with her, they've never displayed that attitude.

Laurie's got another cold and is lamenting the fact, that out of 5 winter months so far, she's pretty sure, she's been sick 80-90% of the time. She's been subbing more this year, then any of the last couple years, so she's exposed to a lot more students, and I think that plays a big role. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't catch it as I have my trip coming up next week, and I really don't want to fly with a head cold or be on the road for that matter.

This weekend we have my sister-in-laws 30th birthday party. So it will be nice seeing everyone getting together. This has been an interesting winter, in that I've gotten to see people on a number of weekends. There have been a number of birthday parties and my dad's retirement party through the first two months, so the weekends have been busy.

I had a chance to visit with one of my closest friends last weekend, I kept thinking that he and his wife were going to get together with Laurie and I, where I could give his daughter, Anna (my goddaughter) her Christmas gift, but we just haven't been able to connect. So with a free morning and some shopping errands to run, I gave him a call and stopped by and we got to talk for 30 minutes or so (would have been longer, if I didn't get lost looking for his house and get off on the wrong exit). It was so relaxing, just having a spontaneous conversation for that little bit. It's something I miss, with everything being so scheduled in my life, even when I get together with people, I seem to have an agenda for how I want the night to go, and I can't remember the last time, I just went out for coffee with someone I hadn't seen in awhile and talked. Matter of fact, I emailed another friend last night, to see if they want to get together and do just that.

The next two weeks are going to be a bit busy though, I'm off to Las Vegas next Thursday evening (3/5) by myself for 6 nights. I've got some work to do out there, but have also planned a day or two as vacation. I've not talked a lot about my Vegas obsession, but I visit the place 2-3 times a year. I've found there are enough distractions there that I can take my mind off of the things in life. I know the place is chaotic and lively, and I enjoy it's energy. I'm able to find a solitude there even with the chaos all around. It's funny, but one of the things I'm looking forward to most, is just taking long hot showers, for as long as I want. I don't know when showers became an indulgence, but lately it seems I never have enough time for a long shower. I'm also excited that that I'm going to be able to set a good portion of my trip to my own pace. Even with work factored in, I have enough control of the timings, that I'm not going to feel pressured by schedules. So between, long hot showers, setting my own pace, and having very little influence from the outside world, maybe I'll be able to solve some of my own problems.

Regardless of whether I solve anything while gone, I do get to come back and have a couple vacation days that I'm going to spend with Bronwyn. (Laurie too if she's not working or interviewing) Even though I just had time off in December, it seems like it's been much longer. So I'm excited I get to see Bronwyn for a couple days, I'd be lying if I said I feel like I give her enough undivided attention, so I'm glad we do get some time for that.

The last big thing is my wife's school job fair at Kent State, she has a couple interviews currently scheduled for that day, and it will sort of officially kick off the job search for this year. Not sure where we may end up at this point. The new rule is East of the Rocky Mountains, with my old rule of the area having a major airport as a requirement still in tact. Omaha, NE and Louisville, KY look like possibilities, although Virginia, and Clear Creek, TX could be possibilities as well.

So it should be an exciting couple weeks, I'm debating whether to blog from Vegas, I have the iphone I can use updating, but I may just collect my thoughts and post them when I get back.

2 comments:

wendy said...

Ahh, spontaneous adult conversations. Something to be said about just going with the flow and not planning certain outcomes. And long hot showers? What's that? Not only is it difficult to find the time for those, my landlord is downstairs and if he's doing laundry, we're screwed. Enjoy Vegas, and keep enjoying your daughter. Those are priceless moments.

Michael said...

I don't think I could take that shower situation. I do agree going with the flow is severely underrated, but what can I say old habits die hard.